Saturday, May 4, 2013

How do you help you kids to dream BIG?

When my oldest daughter was five years old and just a little peanut, she looked at me with her big brown eyes and said, "I want to go to the Olympics!"

Pretty big goals from a little girl who was not even big enough to ride roller coaster or rider her bike in the street. Here she is, talking to me about the Olympics!  She was just learning how to do a back flip!  What do you say to your children when they have dreams that are so big it's hard for you to even comprehend them?  Come on, as a mom, most days we just want to be able to get through the day without burning dinner!

I've had many people ask me, "How do you do it?  How do you get ALL your kids to have such big dreams?  How do you get them to want to go to practice without complaining?  How do you get them to clean their rooms, do schoolwork, and help around the house without dealing with moaning and groaning?  How do you get your kids to work together, support, and love each other without being jealous of one another? 

I can't answer all those questions in just one blog.  It takes a ton of hard work, sacrifice, and dedication.  However, here is one bit of advice that I would like to share with anyone who wants more than just average for his or her  children.  It begins with you and who you are as a parent!  Who do you surround yourself with?  Are you growing, and what kind of role model are you being to your kids?  What are your values and morals? If you can't see a bigger vision for your life, how are you going to see one for your children? 

It begins with baby steps, allowing God to work in and through you.  It begins by making changes in your home.  It begins with the words you speak to yourself, your family, and the people around you.   I'm all for dreaming big, BUT priorities have to be in line, and you must know who and what is most important.  The biggest mistake I've seen people make in going after the "dream" is leaving their family behind.  That is just stupid.  The biggest dream should be family, and doing life together.  If you are trying to find your purpose or help your child find theirs, know this, it's not about finding your one purpose because there isn't just one.  It's about living everyday with purpose.  This is not easy, but when your kids see you become alive in all you do, they will inmate you! 

I don't know what the future holds for my children, or for my husband and I.  I do know this: you have to start doing something, and as soon as you do, your life will begin to change. It will not be easy.  There will be days you will want to throw the towel in, but then God will send you little reminders to keep you on course.  One of the greatest reminders is when you look in you children's big beautiful eyes, or their faces light up with the biggest smile!!   We don't know how our life will finish, but we can know how it's going to start.  I also know this: I will never live a life of regret.  I know, without a doubt, that all things are possible in Christ, and so do my kids, because they see their parents live it out every single day! 

Years ago, when my daughter shared her dreams, I could have crushed them, and then who knows what she or my other three kids would be doing today.  Instead, we spoke life, and gave her the opportunity to do her thing.  Yes, we are so excited for her  because we see her dreams becoming a reality.  But, most importantly, it's not WHAT SHE IS DOING, BUT WHO SHE IS BECOMING.  I can say that proudly about ALL FOUR OF OUR KIDS.  All the glory goes to God! 

No comments:

Please click here, if you would like to follow!