Saturday, August 10, 2013

Blessings in a Wheelchair



It’s the middle of summer. I’m in the house doing laundry and getting dinner ready.  When suddenly, my kids run in the house to tell me their neighbor friend is over and wants to introduce me to her cousin.  I looked outside and notice an older black man sitting in a wheelchair.  I looked at my pile of clothes that needed to be folded.  I began to entertain the thought of just saying Hi and making an excuse on why I couldn’t take the time to talk.  Because that’s what I would have been doing making excuses.  There wasn’t anything I was doing that was so important where I couldn’t take the time to meet a new friend.

A few seconds after considering blowing the kids friend and cousin off, God spoke to my heart and said, “Do not judge him by his physical appearance.  Get outside and take the time to get to know him. Treat him the way you would treat anyone else. Don’t look at him the way the world sees him.  Look at his heart. Do not have pity on him.”  This scripture came to mind. “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matthew 25:40

I’m so thankful God doesn’t look nor care about our physical appearances.  He doesn’t care about our titles we hold, how many friends we have on Facebook, what car we drive or how much money we have in our bank.  He only cares about the heart. 
I walked outside and was blessed. I met and embraced my  new friend and so did my family!  He is filled with so much wisdom.  He was born with cerebral palsy and has had many struggles along his way.  Doctors told him he would never see the age of 30 and here he was getting ready to celebrate his 37th birthday.  He loves the Lord and his heart was pure.  He doesn’t let his disability or his circumstances stop him from continuing to dream big and go after all God has called him to be and do. 

He was such an inspiration to me and thankful I listened, took the time and didn’t judge this book by its cover. 
Today, take the time to listen and get to know someone better.  Remember, the world may care about the physical and material possessions but God only looks at the heart! 

 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

No comments:

Please click here, if you would like to follow!