Sunday, October 27, 2013

One Way to Measure Your Leadership Skills in Your Home.


Once a year, my mom and I plan a mother-daughter get away. It is one of my favorite times of the year.  For the past two years, we have been going to see Christian bible teacher, Beth Moore.  Now, I know this might not sound like a good time but don’t knock something unless you have tried it yourself.  By this time ever year, I’m ready for a little adventure with my God and my mom.  It rejuvenates me so I can continue to be a better wife, mother and friend to the people around me.  Also, encourages me to continue working on my ministry. 

 

Before the conference began, my mom signed me up for some leadership classes.  I know this might sound weird, but I LOVE WORSKHOPS.  I love learning and meeting new people.  As I sat in these classes, much emphasis was talked about building your team.  Of course the emphasis was placed on ministry but it applies to your own business or workplace. 

 

What was not talked about was taking these same principals and applying them to your own home.  Maybe they do at different events not just at this particular one.  Before we take leadership principals out into the world or even the church, we should look at our own home life first.  How are we as women leading our children?  Are we allowing our husbands to lead our families?  I understand this is a hard question to swallow for many because you might look at your husband as a total slacker. (If you do, don’t worry you are not alone. I had good reason though I thought until God slapped me around.  This is another talk for another time.) If you are a follower of Christ, this is important.  If you don’t believe in Him, you can still take these same principals and apply it to your marriage, if you want your relationship to thrive. 


How do you know if you are being a leader in your home?  Can your husband and kids function while you are gone?  Have you taught your children and allowed them to take on responsibilities inside the home?  Do you have to leave a detailed note before leaving and call and check on them every hour? Now, I’m not saying you don’t leave any directions or call and say goodnight, I love you or just to see how their day is going because you care.  My husband does not stay at home with the kids full time like I do.  He needed a little help with what to do in school, kids schedule and what was on the list to make for dinner.  However, we have the same goals for our family.  We talk all the time and he is actively involved in the lives of his children.    I only needed to leave a few notes to help not because I didn’t trust him or wanted to nag him to death or expect him to do everything the way I like it. Guess what,   He didn’t do everything according to my plan either.  He had a blast with the kids and bottom line is that is all that really matters.
 

Here is when you know all your hard work during the year is paying off.  My husband was just amazed how the kids are self sufficient.   Marcia and Marie because they are younger need more help with school but the kids even knew what to do in the house.  He said the kids were awesome.  They helped their dad too. The best part for me, I walked in and the house was cleaned and looked even better than when I left. 
 

They were able to function without me.  I know many times moms want to have the control, feel needed and take care of everything.  This is not a true leader.  I’m not saying I’m all that and a bag of chips, because I’m not. I’m not saying our husband and children don’t need us because they do.  Moms are the heartbeat of a family.    What I am saying is we need to be leading in our homes in a way that they know what to do not just when you are with them but when you are away or not looking.  Isn't that what we want for our children.  To one day leave our home and have the skills to live successfully on their own.  

No comments:

Please click here, if you would like to follow!